Tuesday, December 11, 2012

She's Back!




 I know, I know.

This Mommy blogger has been M.I.A. and I have no good excuse other than LIFE.

Beautiful, wonderful, crazy, LIFE has wonderfully interrupted my adventures in blogging.

Ahh. Truth be told, I have missed you! Busy life or not, I am resolving to make time for you, for all of you.

A lot has happened since we last shared space in the blogosphere...let's start with a doozie....baby #2 is on the way!  Another little girl will be gracing us with her presence at the end of April and we are thrilled to be growing our little family.

We also moved from a condo into a house and are loving the space, the yard, the location.  Let me tell you, however, I didn't fully anticipate how difficult it would be to move with a 15-month-old and another sweet nugget in my belly. But alas, we survived and we are loving our new digs.

Speaking of SURVIVAL...... my Mom spent the last 6 months having been diagnosed with, treating and BEATING breast cancer. You always anticipate at some point you will have to face a serious medical challenge as a family but you never quite realize until you are in the middle of one how consuming it can be....if you let it.

My Mom did not let it.  She was a fighter from day one, determined to stay positive, determined to wage war and WIN.  Thankfully, she is now a SURVIVOR and we are all so proud and thankful for her strength and courage.  We feel so fortunate they found it early, they successfully operated and her body responded well to treatment. We have MUCH to be thankful for this year indeed.

So why now? WHAT PROMPTED THIS RETURN?

Nesting.  It happened with my first, it's happening again...this time it's just happening in my blog instead of in my home.

I will be posting dailybi-weekly, weekly, OK let's be honest, I will be posting SPORADICALLY but I promise to be as consistently SPORADIC (which makes no sense, I'm aware) as life allows.....

So...off we go!

One of my very favorite things my Mom made growing up was APPLE CRISP. I don't know if she ever used a recipe, it looked and tasted different every time, but it was always delicious and always comforting.

In an effort to replicate a sensory experience in the form of apple crisp, while trying to cut back on refined sugars, cholesterol packed or processed foods and non-essential fatty oils, I have created an APPLE CRISP recipe which is wholesome and delicious.

The substitution of Coconut Oil for Butter is an easy way to make this recipe dairy free as well as provide additional nutrients and eliminate non-essential fats and cholesterol, while giving an added boost of flavor.

Coconut Palm Sugar is used in place of brown sugar and provides a naturally low glycemic index (which is favorable during pregnancy and for good health in general) and because it is less processed than typical brown sugar, it provides more micronutrients as well.


 Try it, enjoy it with family and friends and come back to visit soon, I promise I will be here.

Apple Crisp

Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 35-40
Servings: 8

INGREDIENTS:

5 - 6 Medium Organic Apples (appx 6 Cups), sliced
(I like to use Honeycrisp this time of year if you can find them and I always leave the skin on as it contains valuable vitamins and nutrients)
1 Organic Lemon, cut in half
3/4 Cup Organic Granulated Cane Sugar
1 Tbsp Cinnamon
3/4 Cup Organic Coconut Oil, chilled
1 Cup Organic Whole Oats
1/2 Cup Organic Whole Wheat Flour (can substitute coconut or all purpose flour)
3/4 Cup Organic Coconut Palm Sugar
Cooking Spray

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees

  • Spray bottom and sides of an 8 X 11 glass baking dish with cooking spray, set aside
  • Slice apples (approximately 1/8 inch thick) and squeeze juice from 1/2 of the lemon over apples, place apples in a large mixing bowl

  • Sprinkle apple slices with cinnamon & cane sugar, toss to coat and spread evenly in baking dish (little hands make excellent helpers for this step!)


  • Combine remaining ingredients in medium mixing bowl, using a fork to combine (will be lumpy)

  • Sprinkle mixture evenly over apples

  • Bake uncovered on the center rack for 35 - 40 minutes (until apple slices are tender and topping has browned)
  • Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes


  • Can be refrigerate for up to 5 days, enjoy!






1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this information. It was really informative.Cooking in pressure cooker is really healthy and nutritious for health.My knowledge about pressure cooker is upgraded because of you. I would like to suggest you UnitedCooker. It provides best quality pressure cooker with best services.

    ReplyDelete