Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Apple Doesn't Fall Far From the Tree BUT It Does Fall Often.

Anyone who has known me for more than five minutes can attest to the fact I am, undeniably, horrifyingly, frustratingly, CLUMSY. I have always been....and as much as it pains me, I always will be.....a KLUTZ.

From the time I was little it was evident.  There isn't a wall I haven't run into, a garden hose I haven't trip over, or a coffee table I haven't missed when trying to put my glass on it (while looking straight at it and telling myself not to spill on it). Broken glasses, dropped picture frames, food spilled on the floor, drinks spilled on myself or others....these are my memories of childhood (and, if I am being honest, some of these happened in the last few days as well).

There were endless ballet lessons, piano lessons, tumbling, tap, jazz....anything my parents could find to ATTEMPT to give me some sort of balance, any sort of rhythm.....you name it, they (we) tried it. But to no avail. I still managed to fall, run into things, trip, drop and wobble my way through life. "It will get better as she gets older", I remember my pediatrician saying. IT did not.

Being clumsy is not (although you may think it is) something I can control. I have tried, OH HOW I HAVE TRIED. Maybe I am moving to quickly? Maybe I have an inner ear issue? I am reminded frequently (and thankfully) that my Dad, my sweet Dad, is also clumsy.  MAYBE...just maybe...it's genetic.

Do I find this comforting somehow? NO...I DO NOT. I find it horrifying, actually.

I have a daughter now. A beautiful, sweet, loving 8-month-old daughter.....and I ALREADY fear I have passed along the clumsy gene to her. GASP!

When we were pregnant with her, my husband and I would talk about what we hoped she would be like, what qualities from each of us we hoped she would have and what we hoped she would not. At THE TOP OF MY LIST....every time....was that I hoped she wouldn't be CLUMSY LIKE HER MOMMY.

Then, yesterday, I watched her try time and again to put a piece of food in her mouth...each time missing her mouth completely. Later I watched her try to grab for a toy and although it was right there in front of her, she missed it by 2 inches each time until she eventually gave up and just laid on top of it. She tries to suck her thumb, instead she pokes herself repeatedly in the gums. She tries to crawl but gets her tights hung up in the SMALLEST OF SPACE between the rubber squares on her play mat. The horror, the shame...in spite of of my endless wishing, the CLUMSY GENE has made its way to another generation.

YES...the apple did not fall far from the tree....in fact, it fell extremely close.

THERE IS ONE DIFFERENCE, however, ONE VERY GOOD DIFFERENCE.

I get VERY frustrated with myself when the clumsy kicks in; it is embarrassing and tiring. THE DIFFERENCE WITH MY DAUGHTER is that she DOESN'T SEEM TO MIND. She doesn't get frustrated trying 17 times to put the same piece of food in her mouth, no. Instead, she laughs and claps for herself when she finally gets it. She doesn't mind having remnants of food all over her face and hands...she waits patiently for me to wipe her off when she is done. And that toy she was trying to reach? Does she cry when she can't get it? No. She lays down on it and finds something else nearby to focus on. When she topples over after scaring herself with a musical toy, she does not cry.  She instead looks surprised and then giggles with her whole body as if to say "I am so silly!".

Even though she seems to have indeed inherited this pesky gene...THANKFULLY SHE HAS ALSO INHERITED THE INCREDIBLE PATIENCE OF HER FATHER.

Next on my to-do list....don't fight it.....accept it....and stock up on rubber padding, helmets, lots and lots of band aids, and an abundance of giggles.

Next on YOUR to-do-list should be making this delicious appetizer; artichokes used to scare me but they are actually much easier to prepare than you may think.  Enjoy!

Steamed Artichoke with 
Roasted Red Pepper Aioli Dipping Sauce


 
Ingredients:
Artichokes
2 Organic Whole Artichokes
4 Cups Water
2 Organic Orange Quarters, unpeeled
3 Organic Dried Bay Leaves
3 Organic Garlic Cloves, whole
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper to Taste
Dip
1 Cup Organic Mayonnaise
1 Organic Roasted Red Pepper, whole

Directions:
Artichokes
  • In a large stock pot, combine water, bay leaves, garlic, orange quarters and olive oil.  Bring to a simmer

  • Prepare artichokes by cutting off stems, trimming ends off leaves and cutting approximately 1 inch off straight across the top



  • Place artichokes upside down in stock pot, cover and continue to simmer for 30 minutes. Artichokes are fully cooked when you can insert a knife easily into the bottom


Dip
  • While artichokes simmer, combine mayonnaise and red pepper in a medium mixing bowl

  • Using a hand mixer, blend thoroughly

  • Cover and refrigerate until artichokes are finished cooking
  • When artichokes have cooked, drain and remove bay leaves, oranges and garlic.  Stand artichokes upright in a serving dish and gently open up petals; sprinkle tops lightly with salt and pepper
  • Spoon dip into a small bowl between artichokes

  • Break off individual leaves, dipping bottoms in the aioli, scraping out the artichoke meat with your teeth 
  • Enjoy!


I am loving Yeah Write - linking up again this week, check out some great blogs and vote for your favorite three on Thursday!

19 comments:

  1. I would've commented earlier, but it took a while for me to get back up from, well, tripping over that Lego. You are so fortunate that your daughter got the patience gene! She sounds adorable. My son got both klutzy and impatient. Means a lot of thrown shoes around here. We're working on it, though ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Jennifer! Glad I am not alone - but not glad, it stinks doesn't it?!?! Hoping my daughter hangs onto that patience....she is only 8.5 months after all and the impatience gene runs STRONG! Thanks for stopping by and happy tripping :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm ridiculously clumsy as well, and so far, it seems my son did not inherit too much of that. Whew.

    Isn't it funny how we roll the genetic dice and then wait anxiously for the outcome?

    Oh, and my dad always used to boil up artichokes and serve them with mayo. I thought it was strange, all that work for a little bit of snack. But it's neat to see they're popular again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "she laughs and claps for herself when she finally gets it." Love it! She is an inspiration. May she carry that attitude with her her whole life. It will serve her well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mamamash-I think the same thing when I make artichokes...lots of work for a little delight but so worth it!
    Sarcasm Godess-fingers crossed, hoping her great attitude sticks around for sure! Thank you both for stopping by:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm clumsy, too! If there's something available to trip over, sign me up. Visiting from yeah write and enjoying your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Louise- I will let you know if I find a cure for the clumsies, thanks for stopping by - isn't Yeah Write fab?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If it's any consolation, my nickname growing up was "AP" for Accident Prone. Know your pain!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness...I can completely relate! We can be clumsy sisters together. And it HAS to be genetic, because my dad is clumsy too. And the harder I try to NOT be clumsy, the clumsier I am.
    P.S. Your recipe looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've tripped over my own trousers. More than once.

    Your little girl sounds like she'll be just fine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Look at all these comments! So happy for you!! Good lesson here... let her trip AND pick herself back up with a laugh! We should all learn that one!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your support amie, you have been so good to this humble little blog-o-mine! And GREAt point about letting her fall & get up laughing....I love that perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I forgot the "J"...you know who you are, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Babies bounce. Thank goodness. Cute post about accepting ourselves for who we are. Love it!-Erin

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such an adorable post about your daughter! but I am sorry about the clumsy gene. That runs in my family too...my husband has it and has passed it down to our eldest son. Poor kid has had more injuries in the first 4 years of life than most people have in their lifetimes.

    That dip looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks January, I feel very relieved knowing I am not alone in Clumsy-town! Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks delicious! Maybe your daughter isn't a klutz...it is a bit early to tell :P

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another great post!!! Glad I was able to catch up! I've always wanted to make artichokes but never knew how! Thanks! I will definitely try this one! And by the way, I love that sweet girl! :)

    ReplyDelete